In the town of Vigo are the largest churches in the municipality. As with many small parish churches of the village churches Vigo Township were destroyed in times of looting and other were reconstructed to give a greater capacity to increasing population.
The Cathedral of Vigo. St. Mary's Church ("The Collegiate")
The "mother church" of the city is Santa Maria. It is situated in the same place where he was the former Romanesque church of the same name. This was sacked in 1589 by the English pirate Francis Drake and in the seventeenth century by the Turks and later by the War of Portugal. As if this were not enough in the eighteenth century suffered the English invasions of 1702 and 1719. Gradually deteriorated until it was in ruins. At this point it was decided to make a new and in 1816 construction began.
The present church of Santa Maria or Cathedral of Vigo is neoclassical, has a basilica with three naves with barrel vaulted stone, inscribed in a rectangle of about 892 meters square. Their ships are comprehensive and length. The plant is separated from the aisles by 12 Tuscan columns arranged symmetrically on both sides.
The church of Mary Help
The Salesians were installed in 1898 in Round Street and opened a chapel dedicated to Mary Help of Christians in a house assigned.On November 24, 1923 construction began on the present church. The set features a composition eclectic neogothic a single rectangular nave with pillars close to the walls. At the foot has a large hall which is situated on a high choir. Hardship church could not be completed with the original designs by deleting part of the ornamentation and delayed its completion until May 1944.
Church of Santiago de Vigo
Like the church of Santa Maria, the church of Santiago de Vigo due to the need to build a new temple because of the poor conditions that had the old parish church. Its construction started in 1891 under the design of Felipe Manuel Quintana and after hardship ends in 1907. This church has a neo-medieval cut historicist main façade shows a Neo-Gothic style. The header has a polygonal apse. The apse is lit with three large arched windows that cut the wall vertically.
Its construction began in 1948 following the design of architect Antonio Cominges. Its main facade adopts a classical scheme and some eclectic mixing a rosette ornamentation with a pediment neomedieval neobaroque.
Church of Solitude
This church was built by the Bishop of Madrid-Garay Leopoldo Eijo construction beginning in 1957.It is neoclassical-inspired Parisian temple of Bartholomew Magdalena Vignon..