In medieval documents relating to the city are listed as 15 Romanesque churches of the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth. Of all these churches left standing only the churches of Santiago de Bembrive, Santa Maria and San Salvador Castrelos Coruxo.
From the year 1000 begins a unitary international art movement, as had happened centuries before the Roman art. This new European medieval cultural movement was called Romanesque.
Romanesque art will be changing throughout the territory and three temporal stages. The first period or first Romanesque art develops between 950-1075 and Italian roots is characterized by a simple art with wooden decks and small. From this period there are only three examples in Galicia.
The second full Romanesque or Romanesque covers the years 1075-1150, with French roots, higher volumes, variation of plants and a large presence of churches basilica with three semicircular apses in the header. Romanesque Churches of Galicia of this stage is only 10% of the total.
The third stage, years 1150-1250, tardorrománico called, proto, Romanesque or Romanesque inertia decomposition. This is the stage of dissolution of Romanesque Gothic favor. The windows will make their appearance and the plants will not atener much variation in size over the previous period. This stage is the stage of the outcrop Romanesque Galicia.En the last third of the twelfth century, during the reign of Ferdinand II, Vigo is experiencing a period of economic and social splendor. In this situation the old churches of the city expanded and new ones built. The churches of the town of Vigo all fall within this period.
|Romanesque church Bembrive|
The Romanesque church of Santiago de Bembrive dating from the last third of the twelfth century. It has undergone several reconstructions, as the latest works of housing rehabilitation. The current plan is for a single ship 20 6.50 meters with a polygonal apse. The most significant aspects of Romanesque iconographic motifs are the covers and the decorations of the apse canzorros header.
|Romanesque church of CORUXO|
|html ">|| |
The church of San Salvador de Coruxo, XII century, originally belonged to a monastery. The plant has three semicircular apses, being larger plant. The central apse had three semicircular windows but now are walled. The apses are the parts most important and best preserved both inside and outside. The capitals have human characters, as defined traditionally as Adam and Eve by his apparent nudity.
|Romanesque church of CASTRELOS|
The church of Santa Maria de Castrelos, XII century, consists of a single nave and a semicircular apse floor of 20 by 7 meters. In the 40s, after a process of restoration of wall paintings discovered pieces of the life of Jesus Christ and an inscription on the dedication of the temple in the year 1216.