The parish division, origin of our present territorial division, has its origin in the transition from the Roman to the configuration of the Kingdom of Galicia in the early medieval period. This division in parishes as a territorial unit is made in the Vigo area between the twelfth and fourteenth in periods of demographic development.
In each division parish born naturally the first parish churches in scope to allow religious cults of the villages that had formed around the parish.
In this early period are preserved only three churches Castrelos (year 1216), Bembrive (XII century) and Coruxo (XII century), the three Romanesque style. Have reached up to 15 churches but invasions, reconstruction and demolition for the construction of the newer ones have removed.
It is difficult to find in urban religious architecture of the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The Parish Church of Bouzas began construction in 1577 and suffered the attack of the British Navy in 1589. Its construction was completed around 1626. Its facade shows a classicist with a debug access arch and a triangular pediment over three pinnacles. Stresses its bell tower which protrudes slightly from the plane of the facade.
Fruit of the Baroque period, between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, we have the churches of San Andrés de Valladares, San Mamede of Zamans (XVIII century - 1770), San Pedro de Sárdoma (XVIII century - 1738), San Pedro de Matamá, Comesaña San Andres, San Estevo of Santa Mariña Beade and Cabral (1746).Plant are longitudinal nave, square and gable roof with native tile.
In later period but with a structure similar to the above have the churches of Santa Cristina de Washer (1882), San Xurxo of Saians (1920) and San Salvador de Teis
With the growth of the population some churches have remained small and has chosen to build new churches alongside the old. This is the case of the new churches of the parishes of Navia and Freixeiro Alcabre..