Its origin dates back to ancient Manor of Lavandeira, building erected around 1670, years after the founding of primogeniture by Captain John Tavares in 1665 (as stated in the coat of arms of the main facade). This family is staying until the eighteenth century that will give way to the early nineteenth Montenegro and the Marquis of Valladares.
In the late nineteenth century manor farm and are inherited by Doña María de los Milagros Elduayen, VIII Marquesa de Valladares, and her husband Fernando Quiñones de León, Marquis of Alcedo, who undertook an important reform of the building. The early death of the Marquise made ??the stately pass to his son Fernando, Marques de Valladares IX. In 1918 this dies childless leaving as heir to his father and lifetime usufructuary his wife, Mariana of Wythe. Will his father whom the December 12, 1924 the people of Vigo donate property, conditioning its grant to him were arranged in a museum and public park.
The current building's architectural history is cited in the documentation as "Tower Lavandeira" probably stood in the same place as the manor occupies today.Its name alludes to as tower typology heiress of medieval military architecture.
As part of the border clashes with Portugal as a result of the independence process initiated in 1641 in neighboring devastation occurs Lavandeira Tower, rising in 1670 the new building of primogeniture founded by Captain John Tavares.
We build a new building inspired by the nearby and newly built (1633) manor of Santhomé (La Pastora), example of urban renaissance palace in rural Castilian Galician implemented by linking the Court of their owners.
The building is the type of body flanked by two towers, currently heavily renovated and expanded with an addition in the back, and a perpendicular corridor that houses the chapel and pavilion of services. These additions and alterations were undertaken by the Marquis de Alcedo late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Prior to 1680 the owners of the manor had a private chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Solitude remained active in a stately room throughout the eighteenth century. (Cf: Juan Miguel Gonzalez Fernandez. Das Ermidas historical inventory of Vigo and Val do Fragoso. Vigo, 1997).There was no specific construction of chapel and burial place of worship and of the lords of the manor was none other than the church of Santa María de Castrelos, a short distance from the house, which had a special place on the altar.
In 1853 he built the chapel attached to the main building and dedicated to the Virgen del Carmen. Remained closed and only when she officiated at the Marquis were in the manor.