Building theater Garcia Barbon
Interiors of the cultural center
Theater - concert hall
Auditorium - cinema
Caixanova Cultural Center History
In the late nineteenth century a group of enthusiasts vigueses undertook the task of building a theater in the city of Vigo. Years later, after financial problems opened Rosalia de Castro Theatre on July 15, 1900 with the execution of the opera Aida.
After a time of economic failure and broke theater was sold for use as a warehouse. The people asked the benefactor D. Jose Garcia Barbon that retrieves the theater and he did. Until the February 8, 1910 a fire completely destroyed the theater after the show's Mardi Gras. This fateful day Vigo lost its theater.
The nieces of benefactor J. Garcia Barbon, following their noble example promised a new and more sumptuous theater that disappeared. Thus, in 1913 began construction of the new theater under the project of architect Antonio Palacios.
On April 23, 1927 is inaugurated the new theater: Teatro Garcia Barbon. The new building was laid with great amplitude occupying the entire surface of the previous theater buildings and two annexes. All the stone material of the plot was used in the construction of the foundation to a total of 2,080 cubic meters.
The facades were built with beautiful stone mountain of the Sierra (Castrelos) being used 5,100 cubic meters. Or what is the same 8500 cars loaded occupying a length of 35 kilometers.545,149 kilograms of iron for reinforced concrete, 1,700 tons of cement, 1,800 cubic meters of sand and 3,200 cubic meters of gravel Arosa.
The space was divided into three main premises:
- Theatre, destined for great performances of opera, operetta, comedy, concerts, dance company, theater.
- Rosalia de Castro room or auditorium, dedicated to movies, small theater performances, concerts and dances.
- Casino, with big hall-foyer, staircase, foyer lounge, restaurant, etc..
The decoration of the auditorium is very simple but very striking. Concentrates on the mouth of the scene. The top, arch, is ornamented with large moldings, with a high profile ornamental, with a national shield with large angels, and toisones mural crown, and in the center the shield of Galicia (the San Grail on a blue background). This arch rests on columns triple groups.
The rest of the decor is clear pearl and gold tones for the walls and ornamental elements. The theater's original colors were blue and pearl for upholstery and blue velvet armchairs, handrails and mantling of the boxes, and pearl gray curtain and drapes for the vestibules.
In the 70 Caixanova (then Municipal Savings Bank of Vigo) started negotiations for the purchase of the building Teatro Garcia Barbon. They wanted to create one of the most important cultural centers in Spain. He commissioned the architect Desiderio rehabilitation Pernas invested more than 1000 million pesetas.
In the rehabilitation process built a new space at the top of the building to build a large library with a capacity of more than 200,000 copies and 280 study places. The theater's capacity was expanded to more than 1,100 seats and the old boiler room, after local nightclub and rehabilitated and created the exhibition hall.
The March 22, 1984 Cultural Center opens Caixanova becoming one of the most important cultural projects undertaken by a bank in Spain.
Caixanova Cocial Center is located in the historic building Teatro Garcia Barbon 1927. This building, steeped in academic architectural movement, was designed by Antonio Palacios. It invested over 1,000 million pesetas in his rehabilitation in 1984.
The lobby is decorated in delicate shades of pink and white and is the main access to the Cultural Centre, with street frontage Policarpo Sanz. Its plan is irregular, consisting of two semicircles and a central oval. It has an area of ??91 square meters and is flanked with numerous Ionic columns and two beautiful lamps.
After the colonnade is the sumptuous imperial staircase boot in single and double spiral fork from the entrance to the theater. This staircase is an architectural gem. From this noble entrance leads to the various agencies that houses the building.
The reception hall is located on the third floor, at the height of the second amphitheater. It is elliptical in shape and has an area of ??242 square meters. It is decorated with arches, columns and Ionic capitals, and with noble materials and objects. A beautiful environment in which a magnificent carpet extends under the lamp. Its use falls from receptions to stay out into the intermission.
It occupies the central part of the building, with its principal place and occasion. It has a capacity of 1,116 villages spread over the stalls (584 seats) and three amphitheatres (151, 172 and 209 seats) that rise to the top of the baffle, the real centerpiece of the room sound.
It has a magnificent setting of 319 square meters equipped with the latest lighting and sound media. The orchestra pit has a capacity for 50 musicians and is hinged bandshell concert.
It is under the lobby of the Theater-Concert Hall and has a separate entrance from the street Reconquista. The natural granite pillars and sober building walls give nobility, serving as support and connection to the various rooms that divide your space.
It has a floor space of 379 square meters and a length of wall useful for hanging pictures of 95 meters.
At the lowest level of the building and entered from the back of the center, is this comfortable circular room with a capacity of 500 seats. In it you can hear a concert or recital, attend a film screening test or see theater.
The stage has an area of ??70 square meters and the projection screen is of 9.50 x 4 meters.
Crowning the building at its highest point, the library is under the leadership of new construction. A large window provides natural light throughout the interior.Distributed on two floors, a total of 560 square meters with 252 reading seats and a capacity of 200,000 volumes.
It has a lobby with files delivery of books and magazines with an area of ??91 square meters.
It is located on the second floor. It has an oval shape, comfortable and large windows on the main facade. It has a capacity of 175 seats and its decoration and lighting achieve a serene atmosphere that invites communication.
It consists of simultaneous translation, sound control, projector, microphones and stereo hi-fi.
Prohibited the total or partial reproduction of the content without authorization of the proprietor. - by www.javieralbertos.com
More than 30000 pics - Photos of Javier Albertos Benayas. Vigoenfotos 2002-2018.